#1st Anniversary# A Year with meizu

2016-12-14 15:38

I joined the Beta Testing program for meizu's flyme os in the November of 2015. Initially was using Meizu M2 and gradually progressed to M3 note further and now m using Meizu M3s in the December of 2016. In this whole year, meizu has been my either primary or secondary device. How did this year go in my opinion? Was it good? How did all these device performed? To know it all, here is a short all year review of meizu by me. Lets get started...

To start with i have divided this review into 3 segments:
Design and Built

User Experience

Performance

:esign And Built::

The built on Meizu phones has always been solid and attractive. Right from polycarbonate body of M2 to the all metal body of M3 note and M3s, its been always a point of attraction. The most liked feature which no other manufacturer has implemented is the use of gestures in the os to execute different actions like swipe up from bottom to open rescent apps which is really cool. And the mback button which has so much of functionality built into small button is note worthy and unique. Through out this year, Meizu did impress with the design and the built of the devices i owned and i wish to see these development further.

Pros:

• A standard and ethical approach to design.
  • Symmetrical design.
  • Great in hand feel.
  • Stands out from the rest in terms of design
  • Some people will think you own an iphone

Cons:

• There should be some differentiating factors as all phones in budget segment look the same.

::User Experience::

User experience is the responsibility of the OS of any hardware. This is the region where Flyme proves itself. Even on the hardware with low capabilities, the Flyme OS performs like a breeze. Be it setting alarm or be it switching between multiple tasks, Flyme does not fail to impress. In this large period of time, it happened so that sometimes the os became laggy and some apps did stop responding which was reported to the developers of the os and the team worked on it and provided the solution at the earliest. So thumbsup to team flyme . Also, the customized os brings a lot of new features to the table like flyme toolbox with lots of life hack tools which is always a welcomed move. Over all i am satisfied with the total user experience that flyme offers to the end users.

Pros:

• Good customization, cleaner os with less blotware
  • Smooth transitions
  • lots of themes and colour schemes
  • Swipe up to search works too good.
  • Overall a premium looking os

Cons:

• Upgrade to latest version of android to be made fast.
  • implementing features like android pay for supported hardware.

:erformance::

Gaming, Camera, Music are the things which i look foward in my smarphone the most. And to my surprise, the entry level smartphones like M2 did handle all this well. M3 note and M3s performed in similar manner. Be it casual gaming like Subway surfer or be it a graphic intensive game like Asphalt 8, these devices tried their best to give a lag free experience. Ofcourse we cant expect it to perform like the bigger smartphones but they leaded in their segment of smartphones. The benchmark scores were acceptable. The battery lasted long on every meizu phone that i owned. On an average after tons of gaming, calling, texting and mailing and music, i got a days usage with quite an ease.

Camera

This is one another strong area where the device performs exceptionally well. With one of the few device providing manual mode, slow motion, macro mode for capturing great images, its always been a pleasure to shoot using cameras offered by these smartphones. Below are some samples that i shoot using M3 note:

Pros:

• Good gaming experience.
  • flawless switching between apps.
  • Immersive music experience
  • Battery life is awesome when updated to latest firmware
  • Great camera and functionality
  • Good low light imaging capabilities.

Cons:

• With extended use, heating is observed (common)
  • Vibration in M3 note causes image distortion
  • flashlight should be improved in rescent launches.
  • Good quality equlizer should be introduced.

Final Verdict:

Meizu smartphones are not just smart. They are smarter. These have got all the things that you can expect from a smartphone at any point of time. Be it reliability, performance or just the design and in hand feel, you will never be let down by them. It was a great year with meizu and i wish more of these to come further. In all, was my year great? It was hell of an Awesome one!!

What do you think about this review? Let me know what i missed and what you liked in the comments for sure.