2018-05-10 15:51

Show all posts
Edited by subhashvarma at 2018-05-10 21:59

subhash - banner.png
The (No)tch Hype

“Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.”
     –Steve Jobs

(Me: Apple fanboy! No)

Ever since the Launch of The Essential Phone and iPhone X, when it comes to the overall design of the smartphone, the notch has been the point of Interest, people criticised having a notch would ruin the overall user experience, but after using these devices for a while, it’s rare to find users complaining about it, I’ve personally used iPhone X and asked my friend in the states to put up his opinion on EP-1, and to be frank there has been an incredible amount of Innovation and engineering that been put up designing these devices.
apple_truedepth-notch.png

Essential being a start-up has come up with a design that’s unique and subtitle. and in the case of Apple there’s a humongous amount of tech that’s put inside the notch.

Now, the point of concern is, OEM’s started Imitating Apple and started Designing smartphones with a Notch for apparently no reason, and shamelessly calling it Beautiful and Innovative.
The list of smartphones with a notch are on rise. and these smartphones aren’t just from some little Chinese brands, but also from manufactures as big as Huawei, oppo, vivo, Oneplus, LG, ASUS and lot more that are yet to join the bandwagon.

Users are still happy using smartphones with minimal bezels. and at this point of time, no one is really concerned of having a completely bezel-less devices or a smartphone with the notch, what all of us really expect form an OEM’s is not the dumb (no)tch, but little device improvement's like bigger battery, reliable camera, good Display, well defined Specification to price ratio and finally! the frequent and meaningful system updates.

galaxy-s9_design_oneness-black.jpg

As an example, just consider the Galaxy S8 and S9 series of smartphones from Samsung, their design doesn’t include a notch, nor is it completely bezel-less, the minimal bezel on top houses the front facing selfie camera, earpiece, ambient light/proximity sensor and the Iris scanner.
but still, millions of users who bought these devices are happy with it's design. (users do hate them for not receiving timely updates: Pun Intended)

Huawei's vice president Li Changzhu in a Forbes report, states it had the idea of designing smartphones with a notch long ago, and there’s no proof backing it.
In the case of LG, it’s mobile division chief Hwang Jeong-hwan says it did have an Idea of designing a smartphone having a notch way back in the year 2016 at least it does have a patent that shows they’ve tried, but it’s Irrelevant to atheistically have one now.

Finally, even if OEM’s still try launching devices (they do) with a notch that’s fine, but! They should blatantly stop saying, it’s because of users liking towards the notch, and Moving the time or battery indicator up to the top edge gives people that little bit of extra space (it’s just stupid).

Whether or not, you have the software tweaks to hide the notch, the notch is still physically there for no reason, while you play a game, watch a video, take a selfie…

Please choose the side you're onto & Put up your views on the topic in comment’s section below.

(Note: Mobile version of this page might not support displaying the debate options, Please open the thread using the Desktop site mode)
This disclaimer informs readers that the views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in the text belong solely to the author, and not necessarily to the author’s employer, organization, committee or other group or individual.
BannerEnding.png

End Time: 2018-8-8 12:47

Pro Side (14)

I don't mind smartphone having a Notch. if at all there's a good reason for it to be there.

Con Side (39)

I dislike smartphone having a notch, for apparently no reason

Debater:1 ( Join )

Debater:7 ( Join )