Never let your dream die...
Edited by Abhiparmar92 at 2016-12-12 14:16
Hello, guys!!! Happy #1st Anniversary# all of you, if you’re one of the Indian Flyme forum members then you probably know me, if no let me Introduce myself. I’m Abhijit Parmar (Abhiparmar92) Beta Tester of Flyme OS in India since November 2015. I got my Meizu HD50 as a part of Quarterly Gift from Flyme in May 2016 & I’m using it regularly since then. Without wasting much time let’s start the review…. We will go through this review in following sections: Introduction, Unboxing, User Experience & Sound Quality, Specifications, Verdict.
Many of you may be aware that Meizu made its debut in 2004 with their Mp3/Mp4 related product & that time it is hit on china market. So, it’s expected that Meizu shows its expertise in audio related products & best example is Meizu HD50. Meizu HD50 is a foldable type portable Hi-Fi headphone & I would like to tell you from beginning that I’m using HD50 from several months on regular basis, I tried it not as an Audio Professional or Audiophile but as a normal user who just wants decent sound while wearing headphone & expect comfort use of it. Meizu HD50 is available at a Price of 59.99$/4000 Rs. Approx. on various E-commerce sites & at few places in the offline market. Meizu HD50 that I have is Silver White color, it’s also available in Black leather color.
- If you ever used any Meizu product then you probably know the creative yet simple packaging style of Meizu, same here HD50 box is covered with thin plastic so prevent the box from unnecessary scratches. On a front side of the Box is the image of the HD50 while back of the box represent the specification of HD50, graph of sound levels, a sketch of HD50 & other necessary information.
- After removing the plastic & opening the Box you will be greeted by “For the lovely ones Designed by Meizu” on the frosted plastic cover. Beneath it is the HD50 calmly settled in well-organized carrying case alongside with Manual. As soon as you remove the frosted plastic cover & pick up the Black Travel bag, you realize that Travel bag is hard shell type, rectangular in shape and covered with smooth mesh type black color fabric material on top of it. This Travel bag has excellent stitching on fabric & you can open it with zip, which looks like of good quality. This Travel bag is you can say medium in size & easy to carry in backpacks while you’re traveling, but remember it’s not a waterproof case.
- You will also find a Manual inside the box. It’s in two language English & Chinese. It has all the necessary information from how to use a headphone with all functionalities, warranty card, safety rules & service support information.
- As soon as you open the bag, you meet the real beauty “HD50”. Travel bag has precisely carved placing for HD50 & all of its accessories. Apart from that it also has two mesh pockets larger one for placing 1.2m Headphone cable & other smaller one is for placing two adapters.
- Meizu has provided separate 1.2m cable for headphone. The Audio jack on both sides is plated with silver & comes with a color code, Red color Audio jack goes into the right side of headphone’s earmuff where also it’s marked with red color socket & white one is to audio device connectivity, so you can easily identify which side needs to connect with which. Cable has also mounted three-button audio controls on it & microphone for voice calling purpose. Cable is made of an excellent quality material which not gets easily tangled & there is Velcro strip also there so you can easily manage the cable together.
- Audio mounted control is also of metal and three-button type, in which + & - buttons to increase/decrease volume. Center button is solely used for two purposes. If there is incoming call press it once to pick it up, press & hold again to reject the call. Another functionality is for music controlling purpose, press once to play & press again to pause the music, double press for next track & triple press for previous track. These buttons have excellent tactile feedback & working without any problem. Besides this control microphone is there.
- Meizu don’t want to limit the application of using this headphone. So they provided these two extra adapters. One is the dual-pronged Aviation conversion adapter that can be used in Airplane aviation system & another one is 6.35mm Audio conversion adapter. Both of this adapters are gold plated.
- Once you pick up HD50 from a bag, I’m sure you will be going to say WOW!!! They are so much beautiful; you are going to feel it’s a High-end product. HD50 also follows the metal trend that’s currently going on, Earmuffs & headband is made from power alloy metal. Earmuffs have silver color plated & padding with synthetic leather, which is soft & comfortable. It also has angled bearing hinges that help according to the contour & also it’s foldable headphone. Earmuffs are of on ear type design & this ear muffs are covered with soft leather & once you put it on the ear you are going to realize that cushion on the earmuff is very much comfortable. Meizu has done an outstanding job in crafting this headphone, levels of details are fantastic.
- Headband is also stitched with the same leather material of earmuff. Stitching quality is also excellent & there is also some cushion around this headband so you will feel this soft padding on a head. Headband is adjustable, so you can adjust it according to the size of your head which makes it very much comfortable. On top of the headband, there is engraved MEIZU logo. Headband is designed in such a way that it won’t give much pressure & stress on ear even after hours of usage. Inside of the earmuffs, L & R printed so you easily know the correct side to put on the ear.
- Meizu HD50 has Dual cavity & bio diaphragm design. Meizu has provided excellent driver membrane which is capable of producing the vibrations of higher as well as lower vibration frequencies. Apart from that HD50 also produce a good level of bass due to the use of dual sound chamber design. You might be thinking what’s this dual sound chamber design, then here is the logic behind it, the front chamber is used for airflow compensation which helps in getting very clear vocal output & the second chamber is used for bass reflex which helps in strong yet balanced bass output that does not vibrate. I must say the earmuff’s inner design is truly the masterwork.
User Experience & Sound Quality:
- Meizu HD50 is very much comfortable to wear. Although it has metal outfit still it’s weighing around 200gm & earmuffs are small yet covers the whole medium size ear & seats on ear very comfortably so that you won’t have fatigue even after hours of use. Meizu HD50 doesn’t leave more pressure on earlobes so your ears won't started hurting due to pressure, but still, it won’t leave any space on an ear, the cushion adjusts according to the contour of the ear so there is almost no sound leak that can be noticed by others who are near you. But due to this balanced pressure still, it looks stylish around your neck, so you can show off!!!
- I started using it during summers, leather material is soft but in countries like India where in summer temperature is around 45° C if you are using it continuously more than 2 hours then you will start getting sweat on your ear, but sweat is just a little bit. You can put aside headphone for few seconds & all will be fine.
- Judging a sound is always not an easy task, as it depends on various parameters like audio chips in mobile/computers, different equalizers, different music players, etc. I installed DoubleTwist music player on my Meizu Mx5, Moto G3 & Dell Inspiron N5010 with SRS Premium sound & based on that I’m sharing my experience here. I have listened to 320kbps bitrate tracks of various type of music like Folks, Classical, Instrumental, POP & believe me the experience is superior. Vocals come with excellent clarity, Sound is clean & clarity is on par & Bass has a good response though not that much punchy, you can say it’s well balanced. Apart from that, there is no noise cancellation chip present in HD50 still earmuffs easily restrict the 80-85% outside noise to the ear which is quite good for On Ear type headphone. Call quality is also excellent on HD50 through its microphone, the voice is clear without any distortion, even I used it for an online multiplayer game, there isn’t problem in getting my voice on another side. I must say the sound is perfect on HD50.
Meizu HD50 has an excellent sound quality at the price of 60$, in the same price segment you won’t find any other headphone that is stylish, superior in sound quality. Meizu HD50 has used unique & remarkable technologies & it’s portable, foldable & easy to carry in hard shell case. HD50 doesn’t have that thump/punchy bass, but it’s well balanced that you will get energized by listening POP songs. I must say if you’re looking for stylish, budget-friendly, comfortable to wear and excellent build & sound quality on ear headphone, then Meizu HD50 should be your choice.
Note: All images are captured with Meizu Mx5.